Saturday, January 23, 2010

Genetic Predispositions

So, my brother has been diagnosed with a bipolar disorder. I guess it kind of makes sense what with depression running in our family. But it's just kind of freaky knowing depression runs in my family. When is the line ever drawn when we ask who's to blame: genetics or environment?

Just because you're predisposed doesn't mean you have it or are going to get it. And it doesn't give you something to blame your actions upon. And you can go the other way too. An environment full of sex, drugs, and alcohol. You're predisposed to it. But you still can't blame your actions on your parents. It gives a lot of insight as to how you think, but you still made a choice.

I guess I'm getting at the fact that we really can't blame our actions on our genetics or our upbringing. We still have a choice. And being genetically predisposed to a disease does not mean you're going to be put on medication to treat it right from the get-go. You should recognize the predisposition and be wary of the signs. And know when you need to get help.

I was depressed as a teenager. And I got help. And I know there are many people out there who believe mental diseases are a crock, but they're full of crap. Understanding that being sad is a normal part of life is a good thing. But when you are sad, abusing yourself mentally, and considering suicide; that's a lot more than the routine sad. Sad is not bad when you have the happy emotions coming afterwards. But sad 24/7, you need help.

I guess I'm angry with some people. And instead of defending myself, I'm ranting on here. Don't tell me depression doesn't exist. Don't tell me people who need help don't need help from doctors or drugs. Don't tell me you can solve all of my problems just by telling me depression doesn't exist and I don't have it. Being sad all of the time and hating yourself to the point of destroying yourself is definitely not normal.

Maybe my rant's done now. I just wish the people who should see and know this would see and maybe understand a little...

No comments:

Post a Comment