Saturday, March 13, 2010

Corrupt Cops

Seriously, police officers wonder why they have a bad reputation?  Because they hold themselves above the law.  I know there are actual law-abiding citizens that are police officers.  But, it really only takes one bad cop to make the whole system corrupt.  Let's take my drive home tonight as an example.

I'm one light away from my home.  The light changes.  I have the green light.  And then I see the fast-moving vehicle going in the opposite direction take a right-hand turn in front of me without slowing down.  He/she ended up in three lanes over from where he/she should have been if the turn was taken at a proper speed.  And lo and behold, it was a police officer who had technically cut me off.

Now let's say the roles were reversed, and I was the crazy, speed-happy driver.  I'd have been pulled over instantly.  I'd get a ticket for running a red light.  And my blood alcohol would be tested.  But since it was the police officer, and there's nothing I could really do to bring justice to corrupt cops, he/she was able to continue on his/her way going 50 miles an hour on a 30 miles an hour road.  How convenient.

Now we can bring up the what-ifs. Maybe he/she was late for an important date.  Maybe he/she was being called to a police-worthy scene.  Ahem, hello?!  That's what police officer lights are for...  That's what lets other citizens know you're above the law to protect our safety.

Reminds me of the time the police officer got sick of waiting for the light to change.  He turned on his lights and went on his way.  After a few seconds past the intersection, he turned his lights off.  But hey, at least he let me know he was going to be above the law to protect my safety (although I don't know how being impatient protects me).


No comments:

Post a Comment