Monday, May 10, 2010

Finished

I graduated over the weekend.  The best part about it was I got to lead the Senior Engineers line at the ceremony.  All thanks to the Biological Engineering Department being alphabetically first and me volunteering to lead the line.  It was awesome.  And I wore bright pink heels.  I figured since only 10% of the graduating class could pull this off without cross-dressing, I was going to do it.  And I definitely stood out.  It was fun.  I'll have pictures later.

And now I've moved onto finding a job.  I'm still working at the University, but I don't know how long that's going to last once I let them know that I have no way of financing my master's degree and will therefore not be pursuing it.  I'm also going to apply at some of the retail stores here to supplement my income while looking for that engineering job.

I do have a phone interview sometime this week.  I've filled out two online assessment interview things last week.  And I should be hearing back about one of the jobs this week.  So, here's hoping something works out...

I've been looking over the numbers of how much it really cost to get a college education.  I know I have pulled out some student loans as well as received scholarships.  So, I wanted to list my scholarships to remind myself one day just how much was given to me (so that I may one day give back).

Presidential Scholarship, GPA>3.5 (2006-2010) - $13200
Engineering State Scholarship, attended camp (2006-2007) - $300
Engineering Scholarship (2007) - $400
Don & Melba Corbett Scholarship, female engineer (2008) - $100
Bertis & Anna Embry Scholarship, biological engineer (2008-2009) - $2750
Biological & Irrigation Engineering Scholarship (2009) - $500
Pell Grant, poor person (2009-2010) - $1000
Smart Grant, poor engineer (2009-2010) - $4000
Utah Engineer (2010) - $1000

That comes to a grand total of $18250 in scholarships that Utah State University has given me.  They really did take care of me throughout my college career.  And then, when the state finally recognized me as being poor and not attached to my parents (sorry Utah, my parents did not take care of my college funds like you said they would and should), I got $5000 in grants.  So, the money that was given to me to help me through my college career totals to $23250.  And let me tell you, that definitely was not enough money to fund my college career; it barely paid for tuition, student fees, and books (maybe one or two month's rent extra).  I would guesstimate that a college education at Utah State costs somewhere around $45000 unless you want to be homeless and starving while in school.

One day when I've made my millions of dollars, I will give back.  I aspire to become a philanthropist.  And I really hope that I don't let my not-a-super-rich salary stop me from achieving that.  Opportunities were given to me because I worked hard at being a good student, and I hope that same opportunity will be available to the next generation of students like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment