Saturday, February 20, 2010

Oh Joy

So, for whatever reason that has occurred, I have been stressing over my finances for basically no reason at all.  I received my grant money at the beginning of the month.  I had planned on putting that in savings and using a little bit to pay some of my credit card debt.  Well, since nothing really ever goes according to plan, I'm just happy everything worked out in the end.

After filing our taxes, we found out that we were going to come into a nice tax return.  I jokingly said we should look into buying a new tv.  Now, that idea really only lasted a day because the smartest thing for us would be to save our money which is exactly what I was really planning on doing.  And then Jared goes to work on marking clearance items at Kmart.  As he's marking down items in electronics, he comes across a clearanced tv.  It's a 37" Sylvania tv for $175.  Now, this is a deal we just couldn't pass up.  And $168 (after discount and addition of tax) was money I was willing to give up.  Of course it stinks (and is so American thinking) that I'm so willing to give up money I haven't even received yet.

And then we bought a new dryer the next day.  Having clean laundry has never felt so nice...  So, another chunk of money.  But this actually came from my grant money.  So, I didn't have to dip into my savings.

And then I get a check in the mail today.  It's my SWE travel reimbursement that I had completely forgotten about.  And what does the check say?  $168 and some odd cents.  That's when I realized what was paying for our new tv.

So, the good news is, I get to save my tax return like I had originally planned.  And God is taking care of us.  Whether it's a gentle nudge in the right direction or straight-out-push-you-overboard, He's watching.

So on a completely random note that has nothing to do with anything.  I decided I wanted to dust.  Our other tv is probably around 120 pounds.  It didn't phase me that I might actually hurt myself by moving the tv over a couple of inches.  So, I push the tv over and realize I can't pull my hand back towards me.

Slow motion thinking:  Oh great, I think my fingers are stuck under the tv.  Quick, what's the best way to get them out now?  How did I manage to get my fingers stuck under the tv in the first place?  I wonder if they're supposed to be in pain right now.  I wonder if I just start pulling my hand back toward me if my fingers will unwedge themselves.

I manage to pull my fingers out and continue on with my dusting like nothing had happened.  While spraying the rag, I noticed my finger was bleeding.  The other one was swelling up.  I have a nice blood blister under my skin.

Having nil feelings in my fingers can be a blessing but sometimes a curse.  Since the pain is very little to never there, I don't notice the danger I am putting my fingers in.  But on the other hand, I can pull hot food off of pans that just came out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment