Thursday, September 9, 2010

Perspective

So, I happen to overhear someone talking about how she caved in and finally bought a car.  She went on to say it's a Hyundai Sonata.  And then, "It's nothing fancy, but at least it'll get the job done."  It took all of my strength and then some to not turn around and give her the bug eye (I'm assuming her car's relatively new - <5 yrs).

Jared's getting a new car too.  And when I say new, it's only new in the fact that we've never owned it before.  Want to know the difference?  This car is nothing fancy, but at least it'll get the job done...  It's a 1992 Honda Accord.  Why am I buying it?  Because I trust my dad when he says, "It's nothing fancy, but it'll be more reliable than your current car [1997 Nissan Sentra]."

I guess it's all a matter of perspective...  I can also thank the way my parents raised me with never taking anything for granted and not buying crap you don't need.  So, while I would love to buy a 2-year-old Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry, it's not practical for me.  Cars depreciate in value, and I can't guarantee that nothing bad is going to happen to my car when I drive it.  Also, I have a car that works just fine (other than the fact that the lights now turn on when I brake).

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.  Some people enjoy new cars and think they're completely worth it.  I just don't.

But just in case I were to splurge...  My dream car is a red Cobra Mustang from the 90s era.

No comments:

Post a Comment