Friday, August 13, 2010

Lightning

So, it began to storm today while I was at work.  Since all of the buildings are connected through various bridges and tunnels, I never had to go outside in the stormy weather.  That is until it was time to go home...

All I have to say is the storms in Utah are minimal and very different compared to the ones here.  The amount of rainfall during a normal shower here rarely happens in Utah.  Driving was a beast and kind of scary.  Windshield wipers are on full blast and the rain's still pouring onto the windshield making visibility a minimum.

And then I realized how much comfort mountains really provide to a valley.  Lightning storms typically occur in the background, or the mountains, in Utah.  They rarely come out to play with you.

On the drive, I heard the thunder before I saw the lightning shoot out of the sky a hundred yards in front of me on the drive home.  The thunder made me jump out of my seat while the lightning just about scared the shit out of me (thankfully, it wasn't literal).  After getting over the shock and initial fear, seeing that was pretty awesome...

And then I remembered that saying of count the seconds once you see lightning until you hear thunder to see how far away the storm is.  In my case, the storm was right above my head, haha...


A rendition of the lightning bolt I got to witness.  Although, it went into a field behind the trees instead of hitting it straight on...

No comments:

Post a Comment