Saturday, November 5, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

I thought I'd let everyone know about one of my favorite soups of all time to cook.  It is baked potato soup, and it's super delicious.  The recipe I've listed below will feed two people and a little bit of left overs.  Double it if you plan on feeding a family with it.  Also, it goes well with rolls.


Ingredients:
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 1/3 cup margarine
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 3.5 cups milk
  • 2 large potatoes (The 5 lb bag of potatoes I buy usually consists of small potatoes in which case I use around 5 potatoes)
  • 2 green onions (The green onions this season have been tiny, so I've been using 3 - depends on if you enjoy onions)
  • 5/8 cup cheese (I'm a definite cheese person, so I tend to dump about a cup of cheese in the soup)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1.2 tsp pepper


Preparation:
  1. Bake the potatoes.  If you're not sure how to do that, read on.  I typically clean my potatoes and fork them (stab them with a fork a couple of times).  I place them in a 400 degree preheated oven and cook them for 45-60 minutes.  45 minutes will give you chunkier potatoes, while 60 minutes will give you mushier potatoes (your soup will resemble mashed potatoes).
  2. If you have a husband who likes to cook bacon, then give him bacon duty while you prepare the soup.  Otherwise, you're going to want to cook the bacon and crumble it before you start the soup (unless you're really good at multi-tasking).
  3. Once the potatoes are done, you can start the soup.  If you're not good at multi-tasking, then peel and chop the potatoes before beginning the soup.  Also, chop the green onions.  I will peel the potatoes and chop the onions as I cook the soup.  But I have an advantage:  I don't feel the potatoes burn me as I peel them (they're hot).
  4. Melt margarine in a pot.  I typically set the burner to medium-low and will gradually move it up to medium while cooking.  Note:  the hotter it is, the more likely you are to burn the soup.
  5. Whisk in flour until smooth.
  6. Stir in milk whisking constantly until thickened.  I've noticed that the milk doesn't thicken too much. But give it a couple of minutes and verify that the milk has turned warm before moving onto the next step.
  7. Stir in potatoes and onions.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequently (this is where I use medium heat).  Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.  You'll actually get to enjoy the bubbles come up and pop because they make an awesome popping noise (or maybe I'm just weird).
  8. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper.  Stir frequently until cheese melts.
  9. Enjoy the soup!!

1 comment:

  1. oh my, this soup looks good :)

    I added that button you were wondering about. You can grab it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete