Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Huge Update

So, a lot has happened since the last time I posted...

Two weeks ago, Jared's grandpa past away.  It was hard to see such a big family mourn for him.  We'll miss him dearly.

Rest in Peace

Next, any employer who can't respect an employee who's dealing with the death of a loved one doesn't deserve that employee in the first place.  So, K-Mart, I sarcastically applaud you for being stupid (note, not all supervisors were being stupid, just one).

We had to quickly pack the rest of our shit since we were running short on time due to the need to mourn and see our families one last time.  We spent a few nights at Wal-Mart begging for boxes from the over night restocking crew.  And then the day came for the moving company.

We left Utah on Friday.  It took us three days to get to Wisconsin.  Let me tell you the drive was horrendously long.  And Gizmo was so friggin bored.  We stayed in Sidney, Nebraska the first night.  And let me tell you, there is absolutely nothing in Nebraska.  And since there is nothing, the hotels can take your money as they please (the hotel was expensive).  We stayed in Des Moines, Iowa the second night.  We had more time that day, so we got to wander around a little.  Jared got to experience a firefly for the first time.  His reaction was very amusing ("What the hell was that?!?")  We drove over 1000 miles on I-80 East.  And then we arrived in Madison on Wednesday.

Our first rest stop in Wyoming.  It was very windy...

Gizmo and I bored in the car.  Gizmo was sick of his bed.

So he laid in my arm for a couple of hours.  Looks very comfortable...

Gizmo looking for some left over food...

We began our hunt for an apartment on Monday.  We saw probably 15 different apartment complexes.  On the way home (after 5:30), we decided to check out Target to get a few necessities.  We were stopped at an intersection.  The light turned green and the car began to go and never made it past the intersection.  It died and wouldn't restart.  That's when I frantically screamed at Jared to get out and push the car to the shoulder and out of the intersection.  After questioning my seriousness, he got out and pushed the car twenty feet uphill.  Did I mention the car was completely dead and wouldn't let me steer all that well?

So, our car was towed.  At least it didn't die in the middle of Nebraska where there were moments without cell service (and other signs of life).  So, the distributor went out on our car.  We had to spend Tuesday taking the bus to our apartment appointments.  3.5 hours on a bus.  And then we picked up our car which was fixed (YAY!!).

So...  Car breaking down:  unexpected.  Moving company screwing up their quote and topping off our total to $1000 on top of the original quote:  really stinks.  Finally having an apartment to move into on Sunday:  awesome!!

Overall, we're figuring things out.  Sure, we're going to be financially hurting for a little while, but it's just a little while.  I think in the long-run, this move will have been worth it.  Plus, what the locals have to say about my future employer makes me think I picked the right employer.  I start on Monday by the way.

Our little adventure is barely beginning...  I'm so excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment