Saturday, August 13, 2011

Choices

There are so many things to choose from in this world.  For example, Jared's going back to school this fall. If he quits working in retail, he can get more involved with school, volunteer work, or whatever.  And we'd be able to spend the holidays with family instead of by ourselves (one at work, the other sitting on a couch).  But can we afford for him to quit work?  Is money really that important?  I don't know.  But I'm leaning more towards the ability to go to Georgia and spend Christmas with family rather than by myself (sorry Utah, you're too far for a quick vacation).

And I have decided there are two paths I could take when I go back to school.  Yes, I have decided I will be going back to school.  When?  Who knows, probably in the next year or two.  It all depends on whether or not we can afford it, and if I'm still liking my job and the ridiculous amounts of work I have on my plate...  But how do I choose which one is for me?

I could either go back to school for a teaching emphasis in mathematics.  Call me crazy, but teaching calculus at a community college has been a dream job of mine.  I love calculus and math in general.  And I'd probably be able to get scholarships/grants to help me with my master's degree.

Or I could go back to school with the plan to get my physician's assistant degree.  It's like being a doctor, but requires half the time (and you have to work under a physician).  This would require a little more schooling and be a harder program to get into.  But it'd be worth it.  Working as a doctor in Family Medicine has been a dream of mine as well.

So, which do I choose to do?  I have no idea.  But I do know I have a lot of time to figure it out.  I just want to choose the best one for me before I go back to school.

And the sad thing is...  With these plans of mine and Jared going back to school, we're never going to be buying a house nor having kids.  We're still attempting to save for a house in the hopes that we'll have enough by next spring to start looking.  But who knows how well that plan will turn out?  And as a teenager, I said 24 was a good age to have a kid.  Nope, not going to happen.  Although technically in Wisconsin, having a kid in your early/mid twenties is a very young age to have a kid.  So, maybe I'm doing okay on that part.  I'm just a little eager to move into the future and see that family I always dream of...

1 comment:

  1. You'll get there. 24 really is young. We'll be waiting another few years too, so we can ride the pity bus together!

    ReplyDelete